‘The Euterpe Piano’ was a brand name manufactured and sold by the Peek & Son Piano Company of New York during the late 19th and early 20th Century era. David C. Peek is first listed as a cabinet maker and organ builder in New York City circa 1820, with his first workshop located at 36 Rhynders & Broome Street, New York City. In 1822, David C. Peek was listed as a partner in the organ building firm of ‘Peek & Burns’, a short lived partnership which dissolved the next year. David C. Peek continued working as a cabinet maker and piano tuner until he joined William Brennison in the piano manufacturing firm of ‘Peek & Brennison’ in 1842. Peek & Brennison was awarded a citation for their piano cases and a diploma for second place at the American Institute Fair that same year. David C. Peek is not mentioned again after about 1856. David T. Peek, son of David C. Peek, is first listed as building pianos and melodeons in New York City in 1850. His first workshop was listed at 540 West 40th Street, with several different subsequent addresses as the firm continued to grow and prosper. David T. Peek worked under the name of ‘Peek & Company’ until about 1870. In 1872, Peek admitted his son into partnership, and the name of the firm became ‘Peek & Son’. Peek & Son was most well known for their line of pianos sold under the label of “The Opera Piano”, with ‘The Euterpe Piano’ being a less popular model built in smaller numbers. Peek & Son was associated with The Jacob Brothers Piano Company of New York, and they manufactured a line of pianos for The Jacob Brothers Piano Company during the early 20th Century. Peek & Son built high quality upright and baby grand pianos for decades, and the Peek & Son, Opera Piano and Euterpe names were produced up until the Great Depression era. Instruments by Peek & Son are a bit rare today, indicating that they were not produced in high volume like other New York piano manufacturers.
INSTRUMENT CATALOGS & EPHEMERA
Can you find your instrument listed in these antique catalogs?
Early 20th Century Advertisement For “The Euterpe Piano”, Circa 1910